Water heater maintenance, and keeping your hot water system healthy, is not difficult. There are some things you can do on your own, however, having a plumber periodically check your water heater is an important part of maintaining your water heater.
- Check the temperature setting on your water heater. On a gas heater there will be a knob on the gas valve. On an electric water heater look for the thermostat behind a panel- DO NOT attempt to remove this panel on an electric water heater, you run a serious risk of electrocution.
- Temperature settings are usually set between 115 to 120 degrees F.
- If these temperatures are set too high, you run the risk of scalding injuries. Lower temperatures reduce the energy used to heat the water.
Remove sediment from the bottom of the tank with a “mini flush”
- This is important to prevent rust, corrosion and also improves the efficiency of the water heater.
- This mini-flush is not as beneficial as a full-flush, but a full-flush requires shutting down the water heater. Your plumber should perform a full-flush during a regular yearly maintenance inspection. Your plumber should also check the temperature and pressure (T&P) relief valve once a year. This is very important to ensure continued safe operation of your water heater.
- For a mini-flush, place a bucket under the drain valve found near the bottom of the tank.
- Drain valve may have a handle or a short handle-less stem with a slot for a flat blade screwdriver.
- Carefully open the relief valve by lifting the lever. Leave the valve open allowing the water to flow out.
- When the water from the hose runs clear, the heater has been flushed.
- Close the valve by turning it clockwise at the top of the tank and empty the bucket.
- Note: If the bucket fills up before the water turns clear, you will need to close the valve to stop the flow of water and empty the bucket, then return the bucket to continue flushing out your water heater until the water runs clear.
- Turn on a water faucet in your home, and let it run on hot until all air bubbles disappear. Once completed, turn the power to the heater back on.
Water heater maintenance does not have to be a chore. A few simple steps, performed annually, can extend the life of your water heater by two, three, or more years. If you can use assistance when performing the tasks above, please contact QwikPlumb for guidance. With over 20 years in the industry, QwikPlumb is your water heater experts. We guarantee great service at a fair price when repairing your water heater. Our skilled technicians are drug-free and have been screened through background checks, simply because your safety is important to us! Check the company webpage for specials concerning water heater repair or contact us at 720-580-3080.